Sunday, June 26, 2011

Birthday goodness!

Ok so today was my 33rd birthday and it was a great one! I won't go too much into it but what I will cover is the vegan goodness of the day. 

First thing this morning my husband was nice enough to go out and get me vegan donuts from the always wonderful Fritz Pastry:


 Yep, that's a creme-filled one up top there! Very cool....
Oh and FYI I didn't eat all those myself! I had a donut-loving 4-year old helping me. 

And being as today was my birthday...I just hung around the house in my PJs all day and didn't feel bad about it one bit! 

For dinner we went to a place called El Nuevo Mexicano, I heard they had recently introduced a separate vegan menu and I just had to check these guys out!! Today was such a beautiful day so we took advantage of their patio seating. Ahh, summertime in Chicago is worth dealing with the winters!

Nice!

Click here to see the entire vegan menu!

Since I'm a nerd, I had looked at the menu online last week (I dunno, do all vegans do that?) and already knew what I wanted.... Flautas de Verduras con Papa y Chorizo Vegano.

Now if you think this LOOKS good, then you have got to order one for yourself ASAP cause it was YUM!! I opted for the quinoa (as opposed to white rice) which proved to be a good choice because it was just like Spanish rice but with quinoa! I was very surprised and impressed. My friend Charisse went with the Enchiladas de Chorizo, Papa y Zanahoria en Salsa Tomatillo (with melted Daiya on top!):

Both dishes had quite a little kick if you ask me, but maybe you shouldn't ask me cause I am kinda wimpy when it comes to that. I enjoyed the flautas more overall, but both dishes were excellent.

Oh and don't think I would dare leave without dessert, my friends! I could not resist the Platanos Fritos con Nieve Vegano (fried plantains with coconut ice cream). And being the sweetheart he is, my husband asked the waiter to bring it out with a candle in it. And I got a lovely rendition of Happy Birthday sung to me by the waiter and my friends. 
Oh. My. Gosh. How can something so simple be so good? I don't know! But this was the perfect end to a perfect day. You guys, when (not IF, when!) you go to El Nuevo Mexicano, you have got to try this. It's best to have someone to share it with unless you're a fast eater though...the ice cream melts quickly. But still, this dessert sealed the deal and I will definitely be going back there again!

Me and Ryan


El Nuevo Mexicano
2914 N Clark St
Chicago, IL 60657
(773) 528-2131

Song of the day: "Good Times" by Chic

7 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! It looks like you had a wonderful day. The flautas look really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाJune 29, 2011 at 12:32 PM

    Happy Birthday, those vegan donuts look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! I'm Whitney, we met briefly at the park yesterday (the one with the leg brace and the little boy in an Ergo on my back :D ). Great blog! I'm looking forward to going back and reading it all!

    Oh, and Happy Birthday! (Mine's tomorrow :) )

    -Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Whitney! Thanks so much for reading my blog, it means a lot! And Happy Birthday! Maybe I'll see ya at the park again sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the Happy Bday wishes, Mihl and Gauri! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so hard to find a Mexican entree that isn't loaded with cheese... I need to try that place ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diana: YES you do need to try it ASAP! I cannot wait to go there again, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete